The freedoms within (ask me about what I mean)

Monday, January 17, 2011

Values of the old and new

 I have a few close friends in this world. They know who they are and they know the value of our friendship. I beleive that these friendships I have, have been acquired through opening up who you truly are through a chain of life, love, fear, and happiness. Each of them has seen me in my deepest sorrows and my most joyous celebrations-each of them has expressed their future goals, their concerns, their personal matters, and anything you wouldn't post on a daily blog to me. We've grown to that stage where if we see each other in ten years, we'll be able to sit down, have coffee, and act as if those ten years have never gone by. All in all, I love them.

Before I was in Israel, only a few people understood my desire to become more religious, and how much it killed me on the inside. I couldn't talk about changing publicly, in fear of emotionally breaking down. Now that's a huge difference about then and now. I can now freely express my love for Judaism without any concern and find other people that share those deep feelings with me. Making these new connections with people has given me a whole new found love for these kinds of people. I appreciate everything they have to say and can almost cry in happiness knowing that there are other people that parallel my same thoughts.

To sum that thought up:

'Our thinking is shaped and corrected only through the exchange of thoughts with others. To sharpen yourself, communicate with friends who are striving toward the same goals. An intellect which depends entirely upon itself is prone to stagnation, fantasies or erroneous ideas.'
(Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch - Wisdom of Mishlei, p.183; Rabbi Pliskin's Gateway to Happiness, p.135)

To Menucha: you have shown me that there are possibilities in life that even though they may seem impossible, are certainly doable. I was a witness to your loving self while you were loving to your family and they were loving back. Not only that, you constantly expressed your desire to continue this love into your future generations and to make sure it stays there. I love you for everything you've showed me, and even though you're leaving for the states, for a new life, next semester, I know this is the only a beginning of our friendship. Soon we'll be adjusting each other's tichels in real life.

To Robin: to be an inspiring person you have to do a few things. Maybe say something, write a song, ask a challenging question; whatever it may be-you nailed the title. I really look up to you in everything that you are going through-you have shown me that you can get past family problems while working on yourself at the same time. You have the courage to speak your mind, which many people don't, and this is taking you to places farther then you ever expected (like Har Nof). Anyways, I know you are leaving to another place is Israel, but I know it's for the best. If there is one thing I learned from you is if you are not challenging yourself, and your only staying somewhere because your comfortable, it's wrong. That will stick with me forever.

 Both of these girls showed me the meaning of this new found-life goal relations-friendship that I will cherish and value forever. Make sure to make those friends in your life. My happiness can be found on my face because of it-when you release those secret inner thoughts and feelings-you release an immense amount of pent up pain..

No comments: